Illustrations are a visual representation of texts, concepts, processes, stories or our physical world. Many contemporary illustrators use a combination of hand-drawn and digital techniques to create visual displays.
- show observational representations of subject matter, particularly where photographic imagery is difficult to obtain or does not clearly display the required detail
- help differentiate the features of what is being observed
- communicate shape, anatomy, details and concepts
- appeal to a general audience
- have been an integral part of publishing
- can be difficult to produce – you may need expert help; considerable time and knowledge are required to produce an illustration.
This section covers: