Mathematics and statistics
Mathematics and statistics are the study and use of numbers and patterns. They includes the fields of numerical analysis, number theory, probability theory and statistical modelling. Many other fields, such as physics, chemistry and engineering, include a lot of mathematical content.
Unlike most subject areas, mathematics writing is not dominated by Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Much mathematical writing uses a document preparation system called LaTeX, which was invented to deal with the complexities of mathematical documents. This section introduces LaTeX.
This section covers:
- Mathematics writing style
- Challenges in mathematics writing
- Symbols in mathematics
- Displaying equations in text
- Using LaTeX
- Types of mathematics publications
- Mathematics writing resources.
See Numbers and units for advice about presenting numbers and units of measure.
Other relevant sections
- use clear and appropriate language
- use accurate language
- write about data and statistics
- cite other work.
How to present and format:
- titles of documents and other resources
- acronyms and initialisms
- computer code
- numbers and units
How to format, design and include: